13 November 2006

Two Dead Sluts

Went to my first show in Edinburgh tonight, a band called "Dawn of the Replicants," which might be the greatest band name I've ever heard. No, that's a complete over-statement. Here are some band names that are at least as good, if not better:

Two Dead Sluts, One Good Fuck
Butthole Surfers
Chicks on Speed
Death Lurks
Goblin
I Hate You When You're Pregnant (R.I.P...)
Fantomas
Yo La Tengo

That was a digression . . . "Dawn of the Replicants" is a great band name, and the band itself was fairly spectacular -- this sort of bluesy, jazzy rock with an incredibly emotive lead singer, drummer who wore a t-shirt that featured a grid of florescent colored (excuse me, coloured) dinosaurs, and a guitar player who also played both the harmonica (mouth harp) and the jews harp (is there a more p.c. name for that instrument?), though not at the same time . . . The performance reminded me of what it might have been like to see Van Morrison perform Street Choir in 1974.

No comments: